Tuesday, June 8, 2010

21.5.800: A New Project!


Today, I am embarking on a new project. I know exactly what you're thinking right now: "But Dinah! You NEVER start new projects! I mean, seriously! You're like the laziest person I know in the world!" Come on guys! Where's the encouragement? ;)

In all seriousness, this is going to be another fun project. I mentioned it briefly on Facebook about a week or two ago. It is called 21.5.800. It lasts just 21 days, but it should be an intense and fun 21 days. What it all comes down to is this: I will be writing a minimum of 800 words per day (similar to the idea of NaNoWriMo, but it can be any kind of writing, even blogging!) and I will be doing Yoga at least 5 days of the week each of the 3 weeks in the project.

You can read more detail about this project here, at the original post from the person who organized it.

As for me personally, I am going to be doing this project with my friend Bria, the Dizzy Pixie. She is actually the one who first told me about it and I have to say... I'm pretty darn excited to do it! After work today, we're going to head to her place and do our Yoga together. While it will definitely be too expensive to go to a local Yoga place 5 days a week for 3 weeks, we plan on hitting that up every now and then in the coming weeks. For now, we are sticking with a Yoga DVD that Bria has and I plan on using my Wii Fit for some Yoga (hopefully in the mornings before work if I can wake myself up in time!). Heck, I think I'll even break out my old Yoga journal to see about some of the morning rituals that I haven't done in years.


In recent times, I've been going through some personal struggles about who I am, how I interact with the people around me, and how they behave toward me. Especially in the past week, I have been extremely conscious of how people treat me and how they alter their behavior around me. It's both fascinating and horrible to witness. It's surprising how many people just stop being personal when they start talking to me. It's like they just aren't comfortable around me and I'm really not sure why. I mean, I've worked years toward being as comfortable with myself as I am, but my comfort does not extend to others, which makes me feel awkward, then all potential for a good, real conversation seems to go down the drain. How does this happen? I have no idea.

I think one thing I'd like to explore with 21.5.800 is how this happens and how I can fix it. Because to me, it feels like a break down in the way I live my life. It makes it extremely difficult to cultivate relationships and friendships the way I want to.

So that's what I'm looking to get out of this. Some personal insight, an improved physical state, and a healthier mindset. I'm pretty excited!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Dide! I've found that there's a dance between being yourself, being what makes people comfortable, and being HEALTHY, that it takes a bit of a dance to arrive at your destination.

    ReplyDelete