Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Discussion of my Goals

You know, as great as it can feel to finally organize something that you've wanted to have around for a while, that's when you start realizing exactly why no one else did it first. There's just a certain degree of insanity that comes with the territory of being an organizer. No matter how diplomatically try to approach things, there is zero chance that everyone will be happy. Then you'll be confronted with the people who are not only unhappy, but are outspoken about it (even if it's just one out of twenty). That one person will put a damper on the entire experience of starting up something that you've wanted to participate in for years.

I figure the best I can do is take it all in stride and just roll with the punches. I'm excited to have created something awesome like a book club! Even if it's short-lived or breaks down into a much smaller group, I'm happy to say that I accomplished something that brings people together for a social day of book discussion! Heck yes!

Since starting this Book Club is goal number 3 on my 101in365 to-do list, I want to talk a little about the progress I'm making on a few other goals over there right now.


First, I am working on goal 23, to go through all my stuff and get rid of what I don't need. Now here's the trick - I've gone through all (or most) of my stuff at least 3 times in the last 2 years and done something similar. However, I've never quite managed to get rid of as much stuff as I know I need to. There's something drastically wrong with that, in my book. At the same time, I have already gone through all the stages of convincing myself that I need or use or will use most of the crap I've still got around. So I've already got a small stack of stuff started. I'm hoping very much that it will continue to grow, but I honestly just don't know how much it's going to. I guess it's all just a matter of time!

Next is goal 10, to read the Narnia series. Growing up, this entire book series was always on the book shelf. In fact, I hardly have a memory of looking over the book shelf without considering picking up this series. I know that we read at least one of them as a family when I was quite small (most likely The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe), but I know I never read more than that. We watched the old school live action films a lot, too. I even had a crazy dream in my childhood involving a skip-it and Aslan (weird combo, I know, but I swear it made sense at the time. It was the 90's after all). However, I still never quite go around to reading these books. Now that I've got my Nook (and can double up reading these books with goal 19, to make good use of my Nook), I have been steadily making my way through the series. I've finished the first two and am a little over halfway through the third, Voyage of the Dawn Treader. They are quick reads and I'm having an absolute blast! I'm almost glad I left them off to read until now. I don't know if I would have appreciated them quite right if I had read them as a child.

Finally, I want to talk about goal 84, in which I determine to be more physically active. While I'm still not quite getting my butt back on my bike like I want to, I have been more physically active than I was even just a month ago. I'm playing soccer, I'm running (occasionally), I'm starting to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity (which gets you physically active, trust me!), and I'm generally moving around the house more while cleaning and doing some rearranging. While I'd like to add some more hiking, camping, and bike riding to this list, I'm generally quite satisfied with the results of my efforts!

Overall, I'm having a great time working on my 101in365 list these days. I saw that Kathleen got her list started and I'm eager to see what kinds of goals she and the other ladies from Love!Vomit come up with! Speaking of, I officially challenged them in my most recent video to make these lists and to join me in this. The way I see it, we can help encourage each other, help accomplish some goals, and give ideas for creative goals and ways to accomplish them. What is life if we have to go through it alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment