Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Who Knew Avoiding Mediocrity Could Be So Inspiring?

I've decided I would like to write updates here more often. Part of what has caused this determination is a nifty little website called 101in365. This is an interesting new take on the "to-do" and "goal" list idea. The brain child of a very interesting young woman named Jenn, 101in365 doesn't just offer the chance to set goals to accomplish, but it provides healthy challenges for all of us.

The first challenge is to come up with a full list of 101 things that you would like to accomplish in the next 365 days. I bet you were like me when I first read approximately the same sentence, "101 items on a to-do list? That seems easy enough!" Boy are you mistaken (as was I)! The 12th item on my list is "Come up with 101 goals" because I could already tell that this was going to be something worthy of marking off.

This first challenge is actually a kind of double-trouble situation.
Not only do you have to come up with a full list of 101 things to accomplish, but you honestly have to start scraping the bottom of your barrel to determine what things you would like to do. It forced me to reflect on my life, what I own, how I behave, habits I have developed... I thought about what things in my life I was unhappy with; what I wanted to be better at; trips, goals, and events that I had been talking about for months (or even years) on end without actually doing them. I took the opportunity to evaluate friendships, my latent feelings about friendships that are over, and grow determined to develop more meaningful friendships.

To add a cherry to the icing, I also took the opportunity of seriously challenging myself with such items on my list as "Fully let go of the B. situation" and "Agree to do something that I am not comfortable with, but which will not cause any actual harm." It's a fun and engaging way to help me better myself and try new things!

Top off all of that personal insight with the little goals (like "Learn some origami" and "Make a first aid kit for the house") and I not only have a better idea of where I'm at on a personal level, but I have actual activities to fill all the hours I normally spend doing absolutely nothing or honestly just wasting time.

When it all comes down to it, I can't put it any better than Jenn did on the site. "Avoiding mediocrity one to-do list at a time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment