Thursday, September 29, 2011

On House Affiliations


A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine asked me what I would do if I was sorted into a House other than Hufflepuff in Pottermore. My response at the time was, "I've always believed I had at least some of the other Houses in me as well. So nothing will stop me from feeling like a 'Puff. Not even if I end up in a different House on Pottermore. It'll just be another House to be associated with more strongly. To be frank, it's going to be the most accurate House quiz because it's from JKR, but it's not going to be a substitute for her knowing me and for me knowing myself. I am and will always be a Hufflepuff in my heart."

I finally got to spend enough time on Pottermore (without it being out of commision for once!) to get sorted. Here's the thing - I wasn't sorted into Hufflepuff. I have indeed been sorted into Gryffindor.


My initial reaction was mild shock. I knew this would be a possibility, as I always considered Gryffindor to be my "secondary" House. But I never felt like I belonged there. And here's the thing - I still don't feel like I belong there. Sure, I have some Gryffindor characteristics, but that's where it stops. I have more (and more prominent) characteristics that make me feel like I belong in Hufflepuff and Hufflepuff alone. (Don't get me wrong, I'm all about Interhouse Solidarity, as I've written of before. But there's a difference between having all of those who are so different coming together to make things better and being told that I belong somewhere that does not feel right. I still want all the Houses to unite. I just think I should be in a different House.)

The next step in this mental process for me was to go through to the Gryffindor Common Room in Pottermore. I was looking around it, checking the stats, and started to feel decidedly uncomfortable. I don't just mean a kind of awkwardness, I felt (and still feel at least a little) physically uncomfortable. Sort of like I was being forced to put on a suit that just doesn't fit me. I feel constricted across the chest, like the arm holes are too small and the neckline too tight. All the red is abrasive to my eyes and the big Gryffindor lion front and center is straight up awkward for me to view.

I know that with time, I'll get used to the idea of being in Gryffindor on Pottermore. And I still hold with the belief that I know myself better than a short quiz ever could, even if it was created by the illustrious J.K. Rowling. I just need to get through the process of accepting the Gryffindor lion being there every time I log in.

It may take a little time, but I'll get there.

1 comment:

  1. My biggest response to feeling like you are in a different house is Neville. He practically begged the sorting hat to put him in Hufflepuff, he felt he was a Hufflepuff but the Hat knew better. I think we never truly know who we are and what we are capable of until pushed to our limits. Thinking about it I would say I have seen the Gryffindor side of you shine through on occasion.

    However you are not 11, you are no longer cookie dough you are cookies, done baking. :)

    You know who you are and if you feel like a Hufflepuff thats cool. Embrace you new affiliation and pop down to the kitchens and say hi now and then.

    PS please get the reference.

    ReplyDelete