Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Trying to be More Active... How I'm Not Suceeding

The funny thing about making an effort to be more active is that when you miss just one opportunity to stay active, you lose almost all the motivation you've been building up. At least, that's how it works with me. I probably shouldn't admit this, but every now and then when I'm dedicated to some physical activity, I'll come up with some excuse to ditch it at the last minute so I can instead stay at home and watch a movie, TV show, or just sit around doing nothing. Perhaps recognizing this failing in myself is what will help motivate me to stop doing it.

There are two things in particular that I don't want to slack off on - yoga and soccer. I'm not going to lie, I'm not particularly flexible and I'm pretty crap at soccer. I'm the worst player on our team. Last game, I scored a goal for the first time. The problem is, it was against us by an accident of my foot being in just the wrong place at the wrong time. But it still happened.

Despite the fact that I really enjoy both soccer and yoga and feel the physical benefits of them afterwards, why is it that I have trouble motivating myself to go there in the first place when it's time to start? Even though I know how much better I feel physically, mentally, and even emotionally after engaging in these activities, I don't always go. And I don't always have a good reason for skipping the activity.


I think the main reason I let myself skip these things is because it's honestly just the easy way out. What's easier than sitting on the couch and turning on the TV after a long day at work where you clearly are not your happiest? Once you hit that couch, why would you go through all the work involved in getting back up, changing into something appropriate, and leaving the house all over again, even if it's invigorating activity? Sitting on the couch can be relaxing too, can't it?

Yes, it is relaxing, but I need to remind myself that getting out of the house and going to yoga or running around the soccer field while trying to kick a ball (and sometimes getting hit by the ball or other players) is what really ends up relaxing me more in the end. The relaxation is deeper, it's rooted in a sense of satisfaction with a day well-lived and possibly even a game well-played.

When I think of it this way, I don't know why I want to take the easy way out as often as I do. I guess I just need to keep myself motivated and remind myself of the benefits of this positive behavior more regularly. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment